Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Breakfast

My favorite meal of the day, but it was the meal I ended up piling on the pounds. I thought I was eating healthy breakfast foods. I did not pay attention to serving sizes for cereal, juice, and milk. I piled sugar in. I really had no idea how much sugar or cereal I would eat in one serving. Then, I would get a second helping.



For instance, I always have enjoyed Grape Nuts. I never realized that a 1/2 cup is considered one serving. One serving of Grape Nuts has 200 calories. Because they are very tiny, they don't look like 200 calories per serving. But they do. Just like most people I poured an indiscriminate amount of Grape Nuts in my bowl. I probably had 2 or 3 servings of Grape Nuts in my bowl. That's a breakfast with a whopping 400-600 calories! And that's not even counting the milk and sugar I added. Usually, I had a second helping of the same. So, if you added the orange I drank, my breakfast probably consisted of over a 1000 calories. You don't want 1/2 a days caloric intake in one meal every day.





My ultimate goal for breakfast was to have something to compliment my coffee. I still do this, but now do it in a healthy manner.



So, now I always measure the amount of cereal according to what is considered a serving for that particular cereal. It's not 100% accurate, but it does give me more control. When I add sugar, I always measure it, using a half a teaspoon measure. Remember, 1 teaspoon of sugar has 15 calories and contains 4 grams of sugar. I also measure the milk (lowfat 1/2%) I put in the cereal.

In my next post, I'll will list all the breakfast foods I eat. Hey, good news. I may be able to post a picture of myself soon. I don't know if I can do a before and after, but at least you can see the author of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment